We are about halfway through the year and on the cusp of a film and television show remake (The Karate Kid and The A-Team, respectively), so let us pose a question: Which remake being released in 2010 will suck the least? The most?
Here’s a quick rundown of what has been released thus far (and in the very near future), their budgets and grosses, and trailers of the originals:
- Alice in Wonderland (original: well, take your pick; or here, here, here, and here…for starters); budget: $200 mil, gross $1 bil
- And Soon the Darkness (original 1970); budget: ??, gross: direct to video in Feb. 2011.
- Clash of the Titans (original 1981); budget: $125, gross: $475 mil.
- The Crazies (original 1973); budget: $20 mil, gross: $49 mil.
- Death at a Funeral (original 2007); budget: $20 mil, gross: $42 mil.
- The Housemaid (original 1960); budget: ??, gross: $5.7 mil in Korea, released at Cannes 2010
- I Spit on Your Grave (original 1978); budget $1.5 mil, gross: direct to DVD in 2011)
- The Karate Kid (original 1984); budget $35 mil, gross: TBD
- Mother’s Day (original 1980) budget ??, gross TBD
- Night of the Demons (original 1988); budget: ?? gross: TBD (released in September)
- Piranha 3-D (original 1978); budget $24 mil, gross: TBD (released in August)
- Red Dawn (original 1984); budget $75 mil, gross TBD (released in November)
Sure, there are a couple of sequels in the works as well, but we wanted to give a wrap-up of the films that attempt to supplant memories of earlier works.
So, what say you?
-sources: wikipedia.org, imdb.com, flixster.com